The AIRTHINGS Project is co-funded by the Transnational Cooperation Programme “Interreg V-B Balkan-Med 2014-2020” and seeks to foster sustainable development and mitigate climate change in the region through joint cooperation measures and transfer of experience between the six project partners. The main objective of the project is to put forward innovative and cost effective measures that national and regional authorities can take to ensure better air quality in urban areas as well as raise public awareness, so such policies and approaches are adopted.
5 Balkan countries and 6 institutions are joining efforts for better air quality
- SOFIA MUNICIPALITY
- ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI - SPECIAL ACCOUNT FOR RESEARCH FUNDS - DEPARTMENT OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
- THESSALONIKI MUNICIPALITY
- CENTRE FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT IN EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY ‘CARDET’ LTD
- TIRANA MUNICIPALITY
- STATE ENVIRONMENTAL INSPECTORATE of North Macedonia
The project partners will combine state of the art technologies and know-how into synergic unity that will result in sustainable development and urban resilience. Information availability and understanding of the air quality issue is essential part of tackling it with efficiency. Under the AIRTHINGS project, important technologies will be used:
- IoT Sensors providing real time data and forming a network of connected cities jointly monitoring air quality;
- Cloud based Open Data Platform for sharing online information obtained from the sensors;
- 61 chimney filters for biggest domestic heating emitters
- 3D MEMO, 3D MARS-aero and 3D MIMO air quality assessments models
- Smart Application with push notifications that will raise public awareness rising and engage citizens towards air pollution reduction and sustainable development behavior
CARDET is responsible for the supply and installation of IoT sensors that will collect data and provide detailed observation of pollution levels within the city of Nicosia. Gaining insight into the local air quality and having clear understanding of the parameters affecting the pollution levels, will enable the team to monitor the pollutants, introduce measures and urge public authorities to adopt new policies. CARDET will also develop a user friendly smart application that will provide push-notifications and visualize the information collected by the sensors from all the participating cities. CARDET will organize a Thematic Workshop on Air Quality and the Air It Nicosia Marathon as a mean of disseminating the Project and its objectives aiming at massive public engagement and promoting a more sustainable way of living.